Sunday, April 29, 2012

Blog Assignment 13

I wooden sign that has "No Tecknolegy" painted on it in white.

For this blog we had to go 24 hours without the use of technology.This assignment was very difficult I actually had to start over at one point. I feel as if in today's society we are so use to our world of technology and we do not really realize how much we really depend on it. We are surrounded by technology everywhere we go, whether it be cell phones, tv, laptops, or IPad. It made me truly thankful for technology and the help that it provides in my everyday life.
When I read  the requirements for this blog I wanted to scream. The first thought that I had was that I could not use my laptop. My second thought was my husband is not going to like this; he likes to call me several times throughout the day to check in. Like most young people I do not have a landline, so this meant that I had no communication with anyone for 24 hours unless I went to see them or they came to see me. I am so dependent on my cell phone and laptop for communication that it almost drove me mad. The first time I attempted the challenge I actually left my cell phone on. Leaving my phone on was a big mistake the temptation was too much and I finally gave in. The second time around I turned my phone off, as well as unplugged the XBox 360. I decided the best way to complete this challenge was to have my husband go through it with me. We use our XBox to watch movies on as well as play games. It is our way of us having some down time together after work. He did not like the fact I took it away. I had to give his cell phone to him though because his dad often calls him to help with his business.
I think the experience bettered me in a way. We had to find other activities to do instead of sitting on the couch, refusing to get up because we were glued to our laptops and tv. It made me realize that technology is a really useful tool at the same time we do not need to forget that there are so many other things to do. For example we sat in our backyard for two hours just playing with our dogs and talking. We also attempted to go to a few yard sales to look for baby items (there were not many yard sales that day). I do not think that I would want to make a “no technology” day every month. I do think that I will make an effort to spend more time focusing on other things besides technology. I just have to have my cell phone.
I really feel that this was a good challenge. I realized how important technology is to me. It made me realize that if I had a hard time completing this task then how are we as teachers suppose to expect students to learn without it. I could not complete any school assignments during this time. So many teachers think students do not need technology to learn. There are sites on the internet that help tutor students. Students also need technology to write these long research papers we assign. We want them to use technology to complete the assignments that we give them yet we do not use technology in the classroom.
As a society we need to just let go of the fact that we are not dependent on technology, and embrace the fact that it surrounds us everyday. I am so thankful for the tools that technology has given me. I will admit sometimes I get really frustrated with technology but overall I depend a great deal on it.

1 comment:

  1. Constance,

    I am so glad that you learned from this. I do not think I could make it at all!

    ReplyDelete