Saturday, March 10, 2012

Blog Assignment 7

Networked Students   
 In the video Networked Student,it talks about the connective learning that takes place inside some classrooms. This system better prepares students for 21st century learning. This is done by allowing the student to find most of his learning materials himself. This is done through blogs, educational sources, and other forums. In this particular video, the student even used his MP3 player to download lectures of some of the best professors available from Itunes. The student then creates a networking system in order to educate oneself in the topic. Students also create this networking system in order to create a place where other students can gain information.
A wooden wagon with a blue bird sitting on top saying,"Jump On!". In the wagon is on different types of social media such as You Tube, Flikr, Facebook and more.


     The question “Why does the networked student even need a teacher?” is asked during this video. The teacher is there in order to teach the student about how to use of this networking system. She gives the student the tools to know the correct sources to use. She also can help the student when they are stuck in a specific area.  Even with the student is mainly working alone a teacher is needed in order for guidance in the right direction. What I mean when I say this is throwing a student that cannot speak English in to an advanced English class would not profit many results.  More results will likely profit from a student who is assisted by a teacher while working at his or her own pace.
     I feel as if we need to prepare ourselves to become networking teachers; however, I am not fully prepared for this yet. I feel as if I have much to learn in the world of technology. My understanding of it is becoming much better. I feel as if I am not prepared to take on guiding students in this area. I would one day like to be able to have the confidence in order to teach a networked classroom. I think it would be a very interesting experience.

7th Grader's PLE
      In the video  Welcome to My PLE, a 7th grade student shows us her PLE (also known as a PLN). The student created her PLE for a science class that she is in that is paperless. The students has greatly expanded her PLE for social networking as well as her school assignments. Her PLE allows her quick reliable access to information that she can use for her educational research and learning needs. This student is using a website called Symbaloo to organize her PLE.      I am also using the site Symbaloo to organize my PLN. I have just recently started actually putting mine together. I have found it to be very useful in many ways. Like the student I am able to have all the different social networks here. More importantly websites that I have found to be helpful to me on my path of becoming an educator are also located her. PLN's are a very useful and important tool for students as well as educators to have it allows us to continue learning.

2 comments:

  1. Thorough, thoughtful, well done!

    Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Constance, nice post. The only thing I would like to say is that I think a teacher is there for more than just to guide a student through the workings of their PNL. While there are many great advantages to having a PNL, I don't thik it can take the place of a great teacher in the classroom. As a teacher I hope to have a great and ever growing PNL that helps me be a better teacher in my classroom.

    ReplyDelete