Sunday, May 6, 2012

Creativity and Curiosity: My Thoughts - Special Post 12A

    Creativity and curiosity are two traits that we look for in individuals when they are young. Why? We look for it because that have the want to learn when they are curious. When young children start in school they also start to loose that creativity and curiosity. They are given structure and discipline in their place. In school we are taught to be model citizens that can benefit our society in the best ways possible. The question I wonder is it the best thing for students. Children are naturally curious beings, so why not let them be curious. Teachers and schools are not wanting to go above and beyond and find that balance that gives students the structure and discipline they need without taking away their creativity and curiosity.
A cartoon head that has the words vision, imagination, creativity, and innovation coming from it.
     I think all curriculum can be made interesting for students. As a teacher you most want to put in that little extra time and come up with ways to relate what you are teaching to your students. Students need to know how to sit and listen in a classroom; however if that is all they do then how much are you really helping them to grow and become educated. If we teach our students the material in a fun but structured environment and then have them use that creativity to show what they know then you help to form that curiosity that so many children have drained out of them. Teachers always have the ability to help mold and enlighten their students. I have ran into so many teacher in the past that only seem to be there for the pay check and that is not the right reason.   I met one teacher who actually had is class turn his room into an actual cell. The students had to get creative to do so. The ideas that the students created to represent different parts of the cell was jaw dropping. We only have to give them the opportunity to use their minds and they will.
      I am a very curious person when it comes to science as well as literature. These to areas have given me a curiosity that I still use today. I would have probably lost it if not for a few special teachers in my life. When it comes to creativity if it is something I am interested in I put for more creativity. I strive to be different. I do not want to be known as good teacher. I want to be know as a creative educator. I have been able to do so in the daycare that I work in. I plan to continue that once I have my degree. My class is know for having the best handmade decorations as well as the best student projects. That is not what I am most proud of though. I am proud of the fact that my classroom is used as a tool to teach my students.
Albert Einstein's picture with a quote from him beside the photo. It states, "Imagination is more important than knowledge".

No comments:

Post a Comment